Prince George Public Library | Prince George, British Columbia
Under the direction of the Manager of Communications & Engagement, the Adult Community Engagement Librarian seeks, creates, and develops opportunities for engaging with community members to expand the Library’s reach in the community. The goal is to understand and respond to the specific needs and interests of community members of all backgrounds,
including Black, Indigenous, and people of colour, as well as immigrants and those facing accessibility barriers. The Adult Community Engagement Librarian nurtures on-going relationships with anchor institutions, including civic agencies, non-profit and other organizations that play a vital role in supporting well-being and in advancing the socioeconomic development of the community. The incumbent may also participate in the hiring, supervising, and training of support staff whose primary tasks include assisting with the activities described above.
This individual is also expected to regularly provide reference, readers’ advisory, referral, and customer account and circulation services to patrons, in person at public-facing service points and by telephone or virtually; and adhere to established quality standards.
The Library is a fast-paced, high-pressure environment. This position includes both evening and weekend shifts.
The incumbent participates in the creation and maintenance of a respectful and inclusionary workplace, meeting expectations that adhere to the Library’s policies and procedures.
We are looking for:
- A Masters degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA accredited program or equivalent.
- 2-3 years experience in a supervisory position including hiring, scheduling, developing training plans, coaching and support, and performance management.
- Two years pertinent library experience or any equivalent combination of education, experience and training sufficient to indicate a substantive knowledge about practical and philosophical approaches to building community networks and establishing relationships with outside organizations and historically marginalized populations (particularly BIPOC, immigrant audiences, and people facing accessibility barriers), and the development, delivery, and evaluation of library programs, events, and initiatives.
- Knowledge of computer software and hardware as it applies to library and information services, and proven keyboarding skills.
- Knowledge of tools and standards of website maintenance and development is preferred.
- Knowledge of any language in addition to English is considered an asset.
- One year demonstrated experience with budgeting.
- Valid Class 5 Drivers License
At the Prince George Public Library, we are proud of our record of innovation, leadership, and service within our community and among libraries in British Columbia, and embrace our mission to “build community resilience by creating welcoming and inclusive spaces for every person to read, connect, and share.”
This position works 37.5 hours per week and offers a competitive starting wage ($35.15/hr.).
Please send your detailed resume and cover letter that describes how you meet the qualifications, marked “Private and Confidential, by 5pm on Monday, July 24th to:
Prince George Public Library
888 Canada Games Way
Prince George BC, V2L 5T6
This position will stay open until filled. The Management Team thanks all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Your application must be true and correct. Disqualification or termination of employment will result if there are any misstatements or omissions of material facts in the application or hiring process.