Okotoks Public Library | Okotoks, Alberta
The Okotoks Public Library is currently accepting applications for the full-time, permanent position of Adult Program Coordinator located at Okotoks Public Library, 23 Riverside Drive, in Okotoks.
We are looking for an Adult Program Coordinator who is enthusiastic, creative, and service-oriented! The successful candidate will proactively plan, develop, and implement programming for adults and seniors to ensure that all programming supports the library’s mission, values, and strategic plan. This position will collaborate with other members of the Programming team on cross-generational, family and library-wide programming endeavors.
- Plans and implements a variety of adult, senior, and intergenerational programs that supports the library’s mission and strategic plan, fosters community engagement, and encourages lifelong learning and library usage. This includes an annual adult summer reading program and a monthly book club.
- Evaluates community needs and develops awareness of community resources and programs offered in the community.
- Provides inclusive programming for underserved groups including newcomers and adults with differing abilities.
- Evaluates program success through surveys and attendance tracking and compiles library programming statistics for reporting purposes.
- Works with the Program & Marketing Coordinator to promote programs and services via posters, brochures, social media content, etc. Regularly updates adult and senior programming information on Library website, including managing registrations for upcoming programs.
- Maintains adult programming budget, accurately recording and reporting all expenditures while achieving optimal value.
- Provides outreach adult and senior programs in the community including local senior residences commensurate with community needs and library goals and objectives.
- Delivers seasonal programs, collections and services throughout the community using the Library’s book bike.
- Represents the library at trade shows, festivals, and other library advocacy events in the community.
- Establishes and maintains positive relationships with community groups, organizations, and potential partners in relation to adult and senior programming.
- Provides a welcoming presence and excellent customer service to diverse library users of all ages and abilities.
- Delivers information and circulation services on the public service desks.
- Instructs library users on the use of the Internet, library catalog, and online resources.
- Promotes the library to adults, seniors, and other community members through in-library tours.
- Understands circulation services and processes to accurately respond to the queries and needs of library users.
In addition to the duties listed above, the Adult Program Coordinator may be expected to perform other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree plus two years’ working with adults and/or seniors in various environments or post-secondary diploma plus three years’ working with adults and/or seniors in various environments. Equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience riding a bicycle.
- Proven experience presenting programs and managing programming budgets, including experience directing and speaking to large groups required.
- Ability to effectively communicate information and respond to questions in person-to-person and group situations with library users, volunteers, public, and other employees of the organization.
- Ability to prepare a variety of documents including bibliographies, statistical reports, and correspondence using prescribed format conforming to standard rules of punctuation, grammar, diction, and style.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and an ability to meaningfully engage with individuals and groups from diverse backgrounds.
- Inclusive and positive mindset and an ability to uphold Okotoks Public Library’s organization values and support the principles of intellectual freedom.
- Demonstrated experience with public speaking, planning, and implementing programs, services, and events.
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Suite and library systems. Knowledge of multiple technology tools such as social media, eBooks, and databases. Experience with Creative software tools preferred.
- Maintain current knowledge of popular and new programs, materials, services, technology, and library trends relevant to adults and seniors.
- Committed to providing excellent customer service to all members of our community and works well as part of a team.
- Detail-oriented with a demonstrated organizational ability, including the ability to successfully manage multiple projects with tight timelines, schedules, and deadlines with little supervision.
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate and interact professionally with a wide variety of people.
- Knowledge of public library services and technologies including a basic understanding of FOIP legislation in relation to library services.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule as assigned that includes evenings, weekends, and holiday shifts as required.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
- Physical demands include lifting, stooping, crouching, balancing, and reaching to provide program activities, pushing wheeled carts up to 200lbs, standing and walking frequently, and lifting bins weighing up to 30lbs.
- Ability to drive an electric pedal-assist bicycle.
- Regularly required to attend off-site meetings and events.
- Ability to concentrate on fine detail with constant interruption and remember assignments given over long periods of time.
- Includes some seasonal outdoor programming.
- Valid driver’s licence.
- Completion of a bicycle safety course.
- Completion of emergency first aid training.
- Fluency in both verbal and written English communication.
- Satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Check from the Police Service.
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week; weekend and evening shifts will be required.
Salary: $21.67/hour plus benefits
Applications must be received no later than: Monday, July 31, 2023
Please send cover letter and resume in PDF format to: email@example.com
We thank you for your interest in the Okotoks Public Library, however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.