Athabasca University, Athabasca, Alberta
Permanent, Full Time
Application Link: https://athabascau.acquiretm.com/job_details_clean.aspx?ID=2511
|Division||AVP Academic Resources||FTE||1.0|
|Location Name||Virtual with Place-Based Functions||Position Type||Permanent Full Time|
|Closing Date||02/21/2023||Wage Max||$123,613.00|
Athabasca University’s Library and Scholarly Resources is currently recruiting for the position of Associate University Librarian, Learning & Resource Services.
AU shapes and enables mutually supportive communities, regardless of where those communities exist. AU’s Strategic Plan IMAGINE: Transforming Lives, Transforming Communities (http://imagine.athabascau.ca/ ) has as one of its strategic themes “Moving Beyond Place.”
As part of Athabasca University’s workspace optimization, this role has been assessed to be Virtual with Place-Based Functions. While this role can be primarily performed in a virtual environment, there are some functions that will require the incumbent to come into AU’s place-based location in Athabasca. The frequency of times requiring the incumbent to be in AU’s place-based location will be determined by their supervisor in collaboration with the incumbent.
Athabasca is located in the heart of Alberta’s boreal forest on the banks of the Athabasca River. The vibrant town of Athabasca is a welcoming picturesque community situated approximately 150km north of Edmonton, Alberta. If living in a community that is rich in heritage and offers outdoor adventures speaks to you, then we would love to welcome you to Athabasca, Alberta.
Should you choose to relocate to the Town of Athabasca or Athabasca County, relocation assistance may be provided.
Reporting to the University Librarian, the Associate University Librarian Learning & Research Services (AUL, L&RS) leads the Learning & Research Services team in the Library, (digital literacy, reference services, the copyright office, the library information desk, and interlibrary loans) and supervises several staff.
The incumbent establishes priorities and plans for the team to ensure that departmental objectives and operational requirements are met and align with broader University plans, and assesses the efficiency and effectiveness of Learning & Research Services.
The AUL, L&RS leads and coordinates AU Library’s digital literacy initiatives, including the design and delivery of the Library’s instruction activities and works closely with Library instructional staff in this endeavour. The position is responsible for expanding awareness of Library support for learning and teaching at AU.
The incumbent provides reference and instruction services and works closely with the University Librarian and other senior staff in planning for the work of the unit.
- MLS from an ALA-accredited (or equivalent) library school.
- Minimum five years’ experience with digital literacy or information literacy and reference service is required, preferably in an academic library.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Demonstrated ability to prepare and deliver effective information literacy training materials to library users is required.
- Demonstrated facility with online communication and presentation tools is required.
- Two-three years supervisory experience is required, preferably in an academic library.
- Experience supervising across bargaining units is a definite asset.
- Experience in the provision of training and the assessment of employee performance is highly desirable.
- Strong understanding of Canadian copyright legislation is highly desirable.
- Collection development and maintenance experience is highly desired.
- A demonstrated understanding of graduate research requirements and processes and of the provision of library services in the context of a distance education environment is desired.
- Must demonstrate an understanding of searching and researching techniques for both electronic and print materials.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills are required.
- Attention to accuracy and detail, and the ability to meet deadlines is required.
*An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
For a copy of the full job description, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information on this posting, please contact Elaine Fabbro, University Librarian at email@example.com
Our Mission: Athabasca University, Canada’s Open University, is dedicated to the removal of barriers that restrict access to and success in university-level study and to increasing equality of educational opportunity for adult learners worldwide. For more information, please visit AU’s Strategic Plan IMAGINE: Transforming Lives. Transforming Communities (http://imagine.athabascau.ca/).
I-CARE Values: The students and staff of Athabasca University hold a set of complementary values that are fundamental to Athabasca University’s identity and functioning:
What AU Offers:
Benefits and Pension eligibility differs based on employee group and may include:
- Defined Benefits Pension Plan
- Alberta Health Care
- Extended Health Care
- Life Insurance, Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- Disability Coverage
- Office Closure between Christmas and New Year’s Day
- Discretionary Benefit Fund
- AU Course Allowance
- A Variety of Leaves (e.g., Maternity/Parental/Adoption, Compassionate Care, etc.)
- Employee & Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
Educational credentials will be verified before an offer of employment is extended. An offer of employment is conditional upon verification of educational credentials.
All educational credentials must be recognized in Canada.
E-Transcripts shared directly from your Post-Secondary Institution via email are acceptable.
WES https://www.wes.org/ca/ may be used to verify international educational credentials. Processing time for verification of international qualifications may take up to one month; please plan accordingly.
We will only accept applications received through our online recruitment system. Please include your resume, letter of application, and the names, telephone numbers, and email addresses of three references.
Note: Online applications are accepted until 11:59 p.m. Mountain Standard Time on the closing date.
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents will be given priority.
Athabasca University is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from women, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, persons of any gender identity and expression, and members of visible minorities.
Where applicants have equal skills, abilities, and experience, candidates residing within or willing to relocate to the County of Athabasca will be given preference.
Working outside of Canada is not supported by Athabasca University. You are legally not permitted to work for Athabasca University if you are living outside of Canada.