Mount Royal University | Calgary, Alberta
Full-Time Limited Term
Requisition #: 998640
Job Type: Limited Term (for any group)
Position End Date: 2/2/2024
Location: MRU Main Campus – Calgary, AB T3E 6K6 CA (Primary)
Founded in 1910 and located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Mount Royal University grew into a vibrant college in the 1930s and became a mid-sized university in 2009. Mount Royal has carved out a distinct niche by offering smaller class sizes, a robust liberal education and unique undergraduate programs. Currently, more than 15,000 credit students choose from 13 bachelor’s degrees and 38 majors.
Mount Royal University is located in the traditional territories of the Niitsitapi (Blackfoot) and the people of the Treaty 7 region in southern Alberta, which includes the Siksika, the Piikani, the Kainai, the Tsuut’ina and the Iyarhe Nakoda. We are situated on land where the Bow River meets the Elbow River. The traditional Blackfoot name of this place is “Mohkinstsis,” which we now call the city of Calgary. The city of Calgary is also home to the Métis Nation.
Mount Royal University is committed to removing barriers and fostering the inclusion of voices that have been historically underrepresented or discouraged in our society. In support of our belief that diversity in our faculty and staff enriches the work, learning and research experiences for the entire campus community, we strongly encourage members of the designated groups (women, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, and diverse sexual orientation and gender identities) to apply and self-identify.
About the Library:
Housed in the Riddell Library and Learning Centre, the University Library is an integral part of the MRU experience. The Library values a healthy inclusive workplace, encourages a culture of innovation and teamwork, and provides support for professional development. The Library team consists of approximately 60 employees.
The services, facilities, programming and expertise available in the Library support innovative teaching, learning, and scholarship across campus. The Library includes the Archives and Special Collections, and specialized and technology-enriched teaching and learning spaces, including information literacy classrooms, a Maker Studio, audio production rooms, and a range of visualization, simulation, and immersive spaces.
About the Role:
Mount Royal University Library is currently hiring a temporary (one-year) contract position working 35 hours per week. Reporting to the Head, Collections & Content, this position is responsible for performing acquisitions, cataloguing, and metadata functions in the Collections Services unit ensuring timely user access to the library’s collections via the library automated system. Acquisitions duties include verifying, checking, ordering, receiving, and processing payments for print, audio-visual (AV), and digital materials. Cataloguing and metadata duties includes both original and copy cataloguing and classification of print, AV, and digital materials for inclusion in the library’s collection and adhering to library standards and local policies and procedures. The incumbent will also provide support in the Archives and Special Collections unit. Archival duties include rehousing of records for storage and preservation, development and maintenance of finding aids, ordering and cataloguing of rare books, and instructing and assisting users in the use of archival resources.
- Processes orders for book and non-book materials, adhering to annual ordering and receiving deadlines
- Receives and approves receipt of materials from vendors/publishers
- Reconciles and processes invoices and credit card statements for payment
- Develops and maintains a working knowledge of the Acquisitions functional area of the ALMA library services platform (LSP)
- Catalogues and classifies print, AV, electronic and digital materials into the library’s collections adhering to national and international standards and local practices and procedures to ensure effective and accurate user access to resources in the library catalogue
- Maintains a working knowledge of tools and systems for individual and batch creation and editing of metadata (i.e. MarcEdit, Excel)
- Develops and maintains a working knowledge of the Resource Management functional area of the ALMA LSP
- Supports the Archivist in the acquisition of archival and special collections material
- Prepares and updates finding aids according to the Rules for Archival Description (RAD)
- Assists with preservation of textual, audiovisual, and other types of records, including rehousing, encapsulation, scanning, and minor conservation actions performed during processing
- Assists with research and outreach projects, develops support materials to assist users, and helps with exhibit preparation as required
- Deliver archival / special collections research support to students, staff, faculty and community users via the archives service desk and through email
- Maintain and expand expertise in information and archival-related practices, research resources, databases, and subject areas
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 2 – 3 years of relevant experience.
- A Masters in Library and Information Science, a Library Information Technology diploma, or completion of the Archives Society of Alberta’s Archives Institute would be considered an asset
- Familiarity with current and emerging trends in library metadata standards, particularly MARC and RAD
- Comfort with integrated library systems, discovery layers, word processing, spreadsheets, acquisitions software, and other metadata tools
- Effective problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Strong organizational and analytical skills with the ability to work independently and be self-motivated
- Proven written and oral communication skills with the ability to work effectively within a team
Classification: SLB07 – Library Assistant VII
Salary: $29.93 per hour
Closing Date: February 3, 2023
To Apply: A cover letter and resume should be submitted in one .pdf formatted document on the MRU Careers page.
Please title your .pdf document as follows: [Last Name], [Job Title], [Requisition Number].pdf (ex. Smith, Coordinator, 999999.pdf).
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. After the close date, you can check on the status of your application through your Career Centre. New career opportunities arise frequently and are posted as they become available. Please check back often to view our latest postings on our Career Opportunities page. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. Mount Royal University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to fostering diversity as a source of excellence, intellectual and cultural enrichment, and social strength. We welcome applications from those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff, faculty and their scholarship including but not limited to Indigenous Peoples, women, persons with disabilities and persons of any sexual or gender identity, ethnic, national or socio-economic background, religion or age.
Leave a Reply