Banff Public Library | Banff, Alberta
Responsible to: The Library Director
Function of the Job: To work with the Library Director and other staff to help ensure the efficient operation of the library and the provision of quality services and programs. The Collections Development Library Assistant will lead development and maintenance of the physical collection of the Banff Public Library in consultation with the Library Director. The Collections Development LA will support the administrative work of the LIbrary Director and help with the supervision of collections part time staff. The Collections Development LA is responsible for serving the public in a friendly and effective manner. The Collections Development LA is also responsible for a variety of administrative tasks and technical services that may vary from time to time.
- May cover absences and vacations for the Library Director
- Represent the Library on committee or community groups as required
- Assist with the development and maintenance of procedures and guidelines as required
- Materials selection: Oversees the development and maintenance of the Library collections exercising professional judgment and applying library principles to evaluate, select and de-select in all formats.
- Exercises professional judgment and applies library principles to identify, evaluate, select and de-select library materials in multiple formats for Library collections
- Informs Library collection decisions: Analyzes branch and program statistics, community demographics, and the holdings information to determine the assignment of selected materials. Anticipates customer interest and demand by keeping abreast of popular culture trends and purchasing associated materials promptly.
- Responds to patron requests for materials in a timely fashion and ensures that patron requests for reconsideration of library materials are handled promptly and appropriately. Analyzes diverse and changing community interests and ensures proactively that all BPL collections, services and technology are relevant, current and easily accessible to the community.
- Marigold: Works closely with Marigold consultants and acquisitions staff.
- Circulation desk duties, including the charge and discharge of circulating materials, patron holds and requests; patron registrations; and interlibrary loans
- Assist patrons in resource and information retrieval
- Provide reference service
- Provide readers’ advisory
- Assist the public with computer use
- Be knowledgeable concerning contemporary Library services and technologies in the region and throughout the province through attendance of professional development opportunities
- Be able to answer common questions about the Townsite and Banff National Park
- Collections Development Library Assistant requires a post-secondary education; Library Technician or MLIS. Experience may be considered
- Experience in Collection Development
- A desire for developing skills and acquiring knowledge
- Good judgement and strong inter-personal skills
- Ability to perform repetitious tasks with care and accuracy
- Ability to respond flexibly to a wide variety of changing circumstances
- Attention to detail, customer service experience and the ability to work with frequent interruptions
- Ability to create a positive and welcoming customer service environment for all library patrons
- Strong computer skills
- A broad knowledge of books and literature is a requirement
- A second language is an asset
Compensation: $50000 annually (wage will be assessed commensurate with experience)
Permanent full-time position: 35 hours per week.
This position will remain posted until a suitable candidate is found.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com.
All applications will be blinded, and We are committed to ensuring a fair and unbiased recruitment process that embraces diversity and inclusion at every step. We strongly encourage individuals from underrepresented groups to apply.