Mount Royal University | Calgary, Alberta
Full-Time 9-month limited term
Requisition Number: 997076
Founded in 1910 and located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Mount Royal University grew into a vibrant college in the 1930s and became a mid-sized university in 2009. Mount Royal has carved out a distinct niche by offering smaller class sizes, a robust liberal education and unique undergraduate programs. Currently, more than 14,000 credit students choose from 13 bachelor degrees and 36 majors.
Mount Royal University is located in the traditional territories of the Niitsitapi (Blackfoot) and the people of the Treaty 7 region in southern Alberta, which includes the Siksika, the Piikani, the Kainai, the Tsuut’ina and the Iyarhe Nakoda. We are situated on land where the Bow River meets the Elbow River. The traditional Blackfoot name of this place is “Mohkinstsis,” which we now call the city of Calgary. The city of Calgary is also home to the Métis Nation.
Mount Royal University is committed to removing barriers and fostering the inclusion of voices that have been historically underrepresented or discouraged in our society. In support of our belief that diversity in our faculty and staff enriches the work, learning and research experiences for the entire campus community, we strongly encourage members of the designated groups (women, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, and diverse sexual orientation and gender identities) to apply and self-identify.
About the Library
Housed in the Riddell Library and Learning Centre, the University Library is an integral part of the MRU academic experience. The services, facilities, programming and expertise available in the Library support innovative teaching, learning, and scholarship across campus. The Library includes the Archives and Special Collections, and a range of specialized and technology-enriched teaching and learning spaces, including information literacy classrooms, a Maker Studio, audio production rooms, and a range of visualization, simulation, and immersive spaces. Library faculty provide an extensive information literacy program to meet the needs of students, and work collaboratively across campus with faculty and areas to teach students and to support teaching, learning, and scholarship. The Library team comprises approximately 60 FTE employees, including 15 FTE faculty. The Library values a healthy inclusive workplace, encourages a culture of innovation and teamwork, and provides support for professional development.
About the Role
The University Library invites applicants for a 9-month limited term faculty position. The position will commence August 15, 2023, subject to budgetary approval.
The candidate will engage in a range of teaching and teaching-related activities, including information literacy instruction, collections and reference work, as well as in the planning, development and delivery of library initiatives that support the teaching, learning, and scholarly work of MRU students, staff, faculty, and community and the overall mission of the University Library. Engagement and relationship building with students, staff, and faculty across the library and across campus is a significant component of this work.
The successful candidate will be hired into a teaching/service work pattern, which has a focus on teaching and service to the Mount Royal community.
- Teach information literacy in a variety of disciplines which may include Business, General Education, Anthropology, and/or Indigenous Studies in the first year of the term. Subject areas are determined annually, based on the needs of the Library.
- Assess the teaching, learning and research needs of Mount Royal students and faculty to inform library collection development and instructional opportunities and approaches.
- Provide one-to-one teaching and personalised learning opportunities, reference and research advice, and other library support to students, faculty, staff, and community members.
- Collection development in subject areas of responsibility, as well as coordinated resource assessment and evaluation activities as part of a team.
- Participate in and collaborate on a variety of activities in support of the overall mission of the University Library and Mount Royal University.
- Maintain awareness of emerging trends in academic librarianship
- Engage in other project work as assigned.
- Master of Library/Information Science degree, or equivalent, from an ALA accredited program is
- Experience teaching information literacy. Experience teaching in a post-secondary environment is an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to develop engaging teaching and learning materials in a variety of formats.
- Strong knowledge of contemporary information literacy theory and pedagogy.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills and an ability to engage with educators, learners and researchers from a wide variety of disciplines.
- Strong knowledge of collection development practices within an academic setting. Previous experience developing library collections is an asset.
- Strong knowledge of contemporary issues in academic librarianship and of the role of the academic library.
For further information, contact Alice Swabey, Chair, University Library, email@example.com
What We Offer
Talented and committed employees are the driving force behind student success. We strive to be an employer of choice among Canadian post-secondary institutions.
At Mount Royal University, we recognize that people are a combination of many intersecting identities; we work to cultivate an environment that welcomes the whole person, and harnesses the strength that is available in our diversity, creating a rich and inclusive workplace.
Investing in the learning and development of our employees benefits the individual and the University. A variety of services, resources and programs encourage a healthy, productive workplace. Mount Royal University offers a competitive total compensation package including health and dental benefits, pension, health and personal spending accounts, paid vacation, winter holiday closure, personal days and a free membership in our fully equipped recreation centre.
Our campus offers the convenience of an onsite daycare, full medical clinic, dentist and pharmacy, access to all gender washroom facilities, as well as a variety of wellness services such as physiotherapists and massage therapists. Campus Recreation offers many activities, including personal training, fitness classes, climbing, aquatics, sports, tournaments and certifications for students, employees and the public.
Salary information is available in the Mount Royal Faculty Association Collective Agreement, article 13.
Closing Date: April 24, 2023
Apply Here: https://mtroyalca.hua.hrsmart.com/hr/ats/Posting/view/2181
*Candidates are encouraged to consider also applying for our other job postings – see Position #997077 and 997076 for details. Candidates must apply separately to each position for which they would like to be considered.*
Leave a Reply