Fort St. James Public Library | Fort St. James, B.C.
Guided by organizational policies and procedures and the Board of Trustees, the Library Director provides vision, leadership, and direction to the Fort St. James Public Library. The Library Director has overall management responsibility for all library operations: Human Resources, Policy Development and Implementation, Financial Management, Community Relations, Information Technology, and Programs and Services.
Qualifications and Skills Education:
Minimum of a high school graduation certificate is required, with preference given to candidates who retain a Community Librarian Certificate, Library and Information Technology diploma, or a Master of Library and Information Sciences/Studies degree.
Good working knowledge of library procedures, policies, programs, and materials.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated supervisory skills
- Good working knowledge of library cataloguing, classification, subject analysis systems, and reference and reader’s advisory techniques
- Good computer knowledge including:
- Appropriate application/program knowledge
- Installation of hardware/software
- Physical requirements include being on your feet for extended periods of time, and lifting/pulling/pushing up to 25lbs. unassisted and up to 50lbs. assisted
Primary Duties The duties of Library Director include:
- Recruit, hire, train, manage, and evaluate both staff and volunteers
- Monitor employee hours
- Hold regular staff meetings
- Oversee contract services
- Maintain regular communications with both the Library Board and the municipality of Fort St. James
- Provide ongoing leadership and direction in all areas of financial accounting, financial reporting, and financial analysis and control.
- Monitor and process invoices for payment
- Prepare regular financial reports for the Library Board
- Prepare and monitor an annual budget in consultation with the Library Board
- Maintain regular communications with the Library Board and all funding partners as required
- Pursue funding sources, such as grants
Services & Programs:
- Carry out all policies; in lieu of a policy, seek direction from the Library Board
- Implement and direct day-to-day operations (collecting statistical data, circulation functions, patron services, office duties, collections development)
- Secure funding for programming; design, implement and track outcomes of programming
- Responsible for all aspects of collection management
- Maintain the library’s various technologies, including the public and staff computers, printers, and internet
- Maintain awareness of, and implement, emerging technologies
- Represent the interests of the library with the public, the media, internal and external partners, etc.
- Maintain and build collaborative relationships
- Advocacy for the library with community groups
- Ensure the maintenance and safe operation of all library premises
- Work with staff and Library Board to develop vision and values for the future
- Advise Library Board on strategic challenges
- Attend all Board meetings to report, advise, record and participate in discussions
- Act as a liaison with Public Library Branch, community partners and funding partners as needed to meet the goals of the Fort St. James Public Library’s Strategic Plan
- Prepare reports for FSJ District, Regional District, and the Province
- Bargaining for Collective Agreement with CUPE
Interested persons are invited to submit a cover letter and resume as a single PDF to Louise Evans-Salt (Board Chair) at firstname.lastname@example.org or Maxime Evans (HR Chair) at email@example.com. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
A Criminal Records Check with a check for Vulnerable Sectors will be required for the successful candidate.
Personal information contained in your resume is collected under the authority of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used strictly for employment assessment purposes. The Fort St. James Public Library is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity in the workplace.
$45,000 to $62,000 depending on education and experience