Chinook Regional Library | Swift Current, Saskatchewan
The Chinook Regional Library board is seeking a highly qualified and visionary Library Director to provide strategic leadership, give direction to our library organization, and lead its headquarters and branch staff. The successful candidate will have a Master’s in Library Science (MILS) with a strong focus on leadership, along with extensive experience in library management.
As the Director of Library, you will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of library operations, including budget management, staff supervision, collection development, and community engagement. The Chinook Regional Library is headquartered in Swift Current and serves the Southwest region of the province of Saskatchewan, including 31 branches and a population of over 35,000 people.
1. Leadership and Strategic Planning:
- Building a positive culture for staff, patrons, and volunteers
- Develop and implement a strategic vision for the library, aligning with the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Provide strong leadership and guidance to library staff, fostering a positive and collaborative work environment.
- Stay informed about emerging trends and best practices in library management, technology, and services, and integrate them into library operations.
- Establish short-term and long-term goals for the library and develop plans to achieve them.
2. Budget Management:
- Prepare and manage the library’s annual budget, ensuring fiscal responsibility and efficient allocation of resources.
- Monitor expenditures and identify opportunities for cost savings without compromising the quality of library services.
- Seek external funding sources through grants, partnerships, and fundraising initiatives to enhance library programs and services.
3. Staff Supervision and Development:
- Recruit, train, and supervise library staff, providing mentorship and professional development opportunities to foster their growth.
- Conduct regular performance evaluations, provide feedback, and address any performance-related issues.
- Foster a collaborative and inclusive work environment that encourages teamwork, creativity, and innovation.
4. Collection Development and Management:
- Oversee the development and maintenance of a diverse and relevant library collection, both in physical and digital formats, to meet the needs of the community.
- Evaluate and implement appropriate collection management strategies, including acquisitions, cataloging, and weeding policies.
- Stay updated on emerging technologies and trends related to library resources, and make informed decisions on the adoption of new tools and platforms.
5. Community Engagement and Outreach:
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with community organizations, educational institutions, and local government agencies to promote library services and programs.
- Collaborate with community stakeholders to identify and address the evolving needs of library users.
- Plan and implement engaging and innovative programs, events, and exhibits that enrich the community’s cultural and educational experiences.
- Completion of an MLIS from an ALA accredited school
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s License
- Criminal Record Check including Vulnerable Sector
We offer a competitive salary that is commensurate with qualifications and experience. A pension plan and benefits package is provided.
If you are a dynamic leader passionate about libraries, community engagement, and fostering lifelong learning, we encourage you to apply for the Director of Library position. Join our team and help shape the future of our library organization.
To apply, send a resume, cover letter and letters of reference in a single PDF to Brent E. Michelson, Chinook Regional Library Chairperson, email email@example.com.
The interest of all applicants is appreciated, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Review of applicants will begin immediately and posting will be open until the position is filled.