Olds College | Olds, Alberta
Apply for the position on the Olds College careers website.
About Olds College of Agriculture and Technology
Founded in 1913, Olds College has been offering quality hands-on education for over a century. Through our regular programming, continued education, and online and blended programming, we provide accessible educational opportunities within Alberta and beyond. We work closely with industry to advance and adapt our programming to ensure our graduates have the skills to succeed.
At Olds College we value our people and are committed to providing a supportive and rewarding work environment. Olds College provides quality education in an environment that is designed to promote academic excellence and student success. There are many reasons to join Olds College and build a meaningful career in a community that is innovative, diverse and welcoming. Everything we do at Olds College is done to advance all aspects of the agriculture and agri-food community. All of our programs and actions align to our social purpose, “Transforming agriculture for a better world”. Our mission is to ensure Alberta’s agriculture community has the talent, knowledge, and thought leadership to lead globally.
The Librarian, reporting to the Manager, Faculty Support & Resources, will be an integral part of the Teaching and Learning Centre of Innovation (TLCI) team, providing support to students, faculty and teachers in the areas of library services, research expertise, resource collection and maintenance. The successful candidate will collaborate with other team members, liaise with staff, faculty and teachers regarding library resources and utilization. The Learning Commons is shared between Olds College and Ecole Olds High School, as such, this position will act as liaison between these organizations within this shared space. The ideal candidate will have knowledge of the needs of both secondary and post-secondary learning environments.
Key Job Functions:
- Assume a leadership role in the development of the Olds College Library vision, initiating and facilitating the opportunities for connecting instructors, teachers, and students in engaging in cross-grade, cross-curricular collaborative opportunities.
- Lead the development of the Learning Commons into a vibrant student-centered environment, that is dynamic, collaborative, and focused on student engagement, and success.
- Lead the collections development and maintenance of the Library resources, with special attention to digital resources.
- Collaborate with Teaching and Learning Centre of Innovation team members, leadership teams and faculty to determine pedagogically sound approaches to student experiences.
- Manage, coordinate, communicate and assess appropriate student information literacy and research strategies.
- Design and lead a scope and sequence for programming specific to research skills and information literacy skills for learners in high school through degree level programs.
- Research and remain current with relevant scholarly information on learning and study skills.
- Ensure dynamic integration of technology into students’ learning toolkit.
- Create, implement, market, and manage programs that support students in achieving academic success, based on data assessment and demand.
- Build and maintain close working relationships with leadership, faculty, instructional staff, TLCI team, and Ecole Olds High School teachers.
- Represent Olds College and Olds High School (Chinook’s Edge School Division) on selected provincial Library Boards.
- Manage Library acquisitions budget.
- Provide statistical analysis of resource utilization to the Manager, Faculty Support & Resources and the Library teams on a regular schedule to inform decision-making.
- Promote library research services and resources to students, faculty and teachers
- Provide research support and leadership within the Teaching and Learning Centre of Innovation including development, maintenance and compliance of relevant policies and procedures.
- Curate program-specific research guides.
- Masters in Library Sciences degree or a combination of a Library Technician diploma with three years of library experience preferred.
- Experience leading or working in a learning commons environment is an asset. Relevant combinations of education and experience will be considered.
- Knowledge of vendors and consortiums (such as NEOS, TAL, OCLC) and their ordering / licensing systems for books, databases and other electronic resource providers.
- Knowledge in library and computer software, such as content management, article databases, library catalogues, Discovery and Proxy systems, and Repository systems.
- Displays high emotional intelligence and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Strong background in library operations and research skills.
- Demonstrated skills in group facilitation and communication.
- Proven ability to foster effective partnerships characterized by collaboration, cooperation, and trust.
- Proficiency in collections management and library software platforms.
- Proficiency with Google Apps for Education, specifically Google Drive, and its collaborative functions.
- Committed to ongoing learning and professional development.
- Honesty, integrity, and a strong sense of ethics in all decisions and actions.
- Ability to provide leadership around current learning strategies in both secondary and post-secondary contexts.
- Ability to exercise judgment, discretion and maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to exercise diplomacy and utilize proactive problem-solving skills.
Conditions of Employment:
- Current Criminal Reference check that is free of any offenses.
- Must respect and actively promote health and safety policies.
The statements contained in this job description reflect general details as necessary to describe the key job functions of this position, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility. It is not an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Other duties may be assigned.
Olds College offers a competitive benefit plan:
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan (LAPP)
- Extended Health, Dental, and Prescription Drugs benefits
- Health/Personal Spending Account
- Generous Vacation Leave
- Paid Holiday Closure
- ‘Olds College in the Community’ volunteer leave
- Professional development and opportunities for growth
Open until suitable candidate is found.
We thank all individuals for their interest in this position. We appreciate the time involved for candidates in the application process. At this time, please note only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Olds College is committed to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workplace. We welcome applications from all qualified persons. We encourage applications from women, Indigenous Peoples, racialized persons, persons with disabilities and persons of any sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
Leave a Reply