Sylvan Lake Municipal Library | Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Permanent, Full Time
Do you love creative problem-solving, dynamic co-workers, and making people happy?
Sylvan Lake Municipal Library is looking for a permanent, full-time solutions-oriented Library Technician to join our fun-loving team of library professionals. Under the direction of the Library Director, the Library Technician is an integral member of our team. Please see job description for details.
Who You Are:
- A strong self-starter with a passion for fostering positive relationships between patrons and staff
- A proactive thinker with a combination of relevant experience and education will be considered
- An empathetic, flexible, and energetic shift disturber who ensures smooth sailing in our library by being approachable and utilizing exceptional listening skills
- A team player capable of collaboration, seeing the bigger picture, and delivering high-quality results that contribute to Sylvan Lake Library’s success as an organization
- Hours of work include 76 hours bi-weekly with evening and weekend work required.
- Starting salary range is $41,312.73 to $47,768.09 per annum, depending on experience.
- Successful candidates will be required to submit a Criminal Record Check and proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
Function of Job:
To aid in the efficient operation of the Library and the provision of quality services and programs.
- Diploma in Library & Information Technology from an accredited institution.
- Experience in Library management and collection development.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Internet searching are required.
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills are vital.
- Creativity and a sense of humour is a must.
Administration and Management
- Supervise and train Library volunteers.
- Maintain Library clipping files.
- Prepare invoices for Library purchases and patron billing.
- Monitors Library and office supplies and recommends purchases to the Library Director.
- Accept and record money taken into the Library.
- Prepare cash deposits.
- Update SDS (Safety Data Sheet) manual.
- Collection development for assigned collection areas: selection and ordering, in accordance with the Collection Development Policy and current Library budget.
- Process materials; materials maintenance; materials de-selection; and materials donations.
- Maintain materials order records.
- Oversee the large print book, other language, and audio book collections, including arranging for frequent and regular exchanges of rotating item blocks.
Public Relations and Advocacy
- Ensure the orderliness and attractiveness of the Library.
- Create and maintain interesting displays.
- Work cooperatively with all Library and Town staff.
- Maintain excellent public relations with Library users and community.
- Perform circulation desk duties including reference service.
- Assist with interlibrary loan.
- Register/renew patron memberships.
- Assist in preparing materials for PRL van runs.
- Assist patrons in resource and information retrieval. This includes CELA, NNELS and CNIB patrons.
- Assist the public with computer use and provide informal computer instruction.
- Plan and implement programs and services under the supervision of the Library Director as needed.
- Assist in the planning and provision of special events.
- Book Program Rooms and maintain room booking records.
- Be knowledgeable of in-house services and technologies.
- Be knowledgeable of Library services and technologies in the region and throughout the province through attendance of professional development opportunities.
- Prepare items to be sent to homebound patrons. Post materials via Canada Post.
- Schedule and administer student exams.
- Other duties as assigned by the Library Director.
Responsible to: The Library Director
The Sylvan Lake Municipal Library believes equity, diversity, and inclusion strengthen the community and enhance excellence, innovation, and creativity. We are dedicated to recruiting individuals who will enrich our work and sense of community. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Applications will be accepted until January 6, 2023 or until the position is filled.
Please forward a cover letter and a detailed resume to:
Andrea Newland, Director
Please include Library Technician in the subject heading of your email application.
Review of applications with begin immediately. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Leave a Reply