Shortgrass Library System | Medicine Hat, Alberta
Shortgrass Library System www.shortgrass.ca is looking for a full time (36.25 hrs/week), permanent Manager, Systems & Technical Services to join our innovative, collaborative and highly motivated team.
This position reports to the CEO and is responsible for the provision of high quality information technology and bibliographic services in the demanding environment of a regional library system.
Shortgrass Library System is one of Alberta’s seven regional library systems. Covering the southeast corner of Alberta, and headquartered in the City of Medicine Hat, Shortgrass serves a population of 107,349 through a network of fourteen autonomous public libraries.
We acknowledge that we operate on Treaty 7 and Treaty 4 territory, traditional lands of the Siksika (Blackfoot), Kainai (Blood), Piikani (Peigan), Stoney-Nakoda, and Tsuut’ina (Sarcee) as well as the Cree, Sioux, and the Saulteaux bands of the Ojibwa peoples. We also honour and acknowledge that we are on the homelands of the Metis Nation within Region III.
The City of Medicine Hat
Located in the scenic South Saskatchewan River Valley, Medicine Hat (population 63,260) gets 2,512 hours of sunshine per year! This makes it one of “Canada’s Sunniest Cities”, and an attractive year-round playground for a wide variety of activities.
The city is rich in local history and unique attractions, from the Medicine Hat Clay Industries National Historic District, the gaslight-themed downtown with over 200 shops and services, to the state-of-the-art Esplanade Arts & Heritage Centre. Low property taxes, natural gas and electricity rates in Medicine Hat are well below the North American average. The City also offers reasonable housing costs, no provincial sales tax and some of the lowest income taxes in the country! For more information on relocating to Medicine Hat, please visit https://www.movetomedicinehat.ca/
The primary responsibility for this position is to ensure the provision of high quality information technology, acquisitions, cataloging, processing and interlibrary loan services to 14 public libraries in Southeast Alberta.
This demanding position is responsible for supervising the activities of a five member Bibliographic Services Team. This includes development, implementation, and maintenance of in-house standards and procedures, while achieving a balance between turnaround time and quality output.
This position is also responsible for overseeing all network, computing, and technology systems in consultation with a contracted third party IT service provider.
As a member of the management team, the Manager, Systems and Technical Services, provides leadership for Shortgrass Library System as Acting CEO during any absences of the CEO. This requires active participation in strategic planning, policy development, coordination of services and achievement of goals as aligned with the vision, values, mandate, culture and structure of the SLS.
In the absence of the CEO, the Manager, Systems and Technical Services is responsible for the direction of the staff and other leadership decision making for SLS as necessary. The position is responsible to the CEO.
- Cooperates with the CEO and Board in the overall direction of Shortgrass Library System.
- Continuously evaluates services provided by Shortgrass to ensure their relevance and efficiency.
- Oversees and coordinates IT systems and network infrastructure.
- Administers the integrated library system, discovery layer, and online resources.
- Manages budget planning and monitoring in areas of responsibility, including division of funds based on system formulas.
- Monitors and schedules work flow of Bibliographic Services department.
- Supervises Bibliographic Services staff and other staff as required.
- Collaborates with member library staff, partner organizations, vendors, and government officials to achieve system goals.
- Compiles and distributes statistical information about system and member library activities.
- Coordinates e-Resource licensing and support.
- Recommends for hire, trains, and supervises employees in areas of responsibility.
- Cooperates as a team member in performing any duties necessary for the achievement of the System’s Mission and Goals.
- Master of Library Science /Master of Library and Information Science degree from an ALA accredited library school or equivalent.
- Experience administering an integrated library system and discovery layer.
- Strong information technology aptitude with a general understanding of networks, operating systems, and computer hardware.
- Advanced skill level with spreadsheet software such as Microsoft Excel, including experience in manipulation & visualization of large data sets.
- Experience with web development technologies (e.g. HTML, CSS), programming languages (e.g. Perl) and/or aptitude for quickly learning these skills.
- Experience working with website content management systems (e.g. WordPress, Drupal).
- Experience leading and managing projects.
- Working knowledge of common cataloguing tools, classification systems, descriptive cataloguing standards, and MARC format.
- Strong numeracy skills and ability to forecast expenses, create budgets, and track/control spending over time.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Superior organization and time management skills.
- Supervisory experience.
- Experience in a public library or public library system.
- Experience working with information technology in a public library setting.
- Additional credential, training, or experience in an information technology related field.
- Experience with vendor relations.
- SirsiDynix Symphony Administration and API experience.
- Lean Six Sigma training.
Salary and Benefits
The position is assigned a salary range of $78,529 to 96,581 plus generous benefits package including: extended health & dental benefits, health spending account, Short & Long Term Disability, Life Insurance & defined-benefit Pension Plan.
A moving allowance may be available as per Shortgrass Library System policy.
This position works from the Shortgrass office Monday to Fridays, 8:15am to 4:30pm.
Please submit a cover letter and resume via email to:
Petra Mauerhoff, CEO
Shortgrass Library System
Review of applications will begin Friday, November 4th, 2022. The posting will remain open until the position has been filled.
Absolutely no phone calls or in person visits please. For this selection process, we will be communicating with candidates by email.
Shortgrass Library System is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the communities we serve.
Shortgrass Library System is also committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted regarding this competition, please advise the staff member reaching out of the accommodation measures which must be taken to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. Shortgrass Library System thanks all applicants for their interest, however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.