Calgary Public Library | Calgary, Alberta
The Senior Manager, Collections ensures high quality library collections and content are planned, developed, and managed over their lifecycle, and that the cataloguing and discovery of collection material is aligned with the Library’s strategic plan and with patron expectations.
Reporting to the Director, Visitor Experience, the Senior Manager is responsible for the effective leadership, direction and management of digital and physical collections, including: selection, acquisition, cataloguing, maintenance, and financial management. Working closely with digital, print, and recorded format vendors, the Senior Manager ensures resources and content are discoverable and accessible to patrons
Responsibilities and Activities
- Plays a leadership role in the development and execution of a collection strategy that supports the Library’s service goals and model, with the aim of attaining the Library’s strategic goals and outcomes.
- In coordination with the Executive Leadership Team and Financial Services effectively plans, allocates, and manages funds to meet the Library’s strategic goals.
- Plays a leadership role in procurement of content that supports the interests and needs of our community.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with collection vendors.
- Participates in province-wide collection-related projects, initiatives and consortia on behalf of the Library.
- Establishes and maintains an environment where members of the Collections Department can realize their potential, and that supports the Department in meeting its mandate.
- Provides leadership and oversight of the development of professional staff in the Department and maintains a viable succession framework within the Department.
- Represents the Department on various Library Teams, committees and projects as required, contributing publishing and discovery industry insight, feedback and innovative thinking to the attainment of the Library’s strategic goals and outcomes.
- Ensures that Library policy, standards and expectations are adhered to within the Collections Department.
Educational Requirements: Master of Library Science degree from an ALA – accredited library school or approved equivalent degree.
Work Experience: A proven record of excellence of at least six years’ directly related professional work experience in progressively more responsible management positions, including significant budget responsibility.
- This is a senior management position and must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate with stakeholders at all levels.
- As the lead with key vendor relationships, the incumbent must possess knowledge of library trends, publishing industry practices and business processes, and Library purchasing and negotiating processes and policies.
- The incumbent is expected to manage independently and has full supervisory authority for the Collections Department.
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal, and relationship-building skills.
- Advanced technological literacy skills.
- The incumbent is expected to lead and manage change and succeed in a dynamic environment.
Specialized Knowledge and Practical Skills
- Best practices and emerging issues and trends in library collection development, management, and evaluation.
- Emerging trends and issues in popular media consumption technologies and patterns of consumption as they relate to collection management decisions.
- Identification and evaluation of customer expectations, and trends in the print and electronic publishing industries.
- Mental demands associated with simultaneous and multiple priorities, multi taking and a dynamic work environment.
- Manages conflict effectively.
- Contributes in a team/collaborative environment.
- Physical demands associated with using a computer for long periods of time
- Moderate Lifting
This position is a full-time, permanent position with a Monday to Friday schedule.
For more information or to apply, please visit our Careers Page: Calgary Public Library Job Opportunities