Chestermere Public Library | Chestermere, Alberta
Start Date: January/February 2023
Reports to: Director of Library Services
Work Hours: 37.5 hours/week. Occasional work outside of weekday work hours.
Worksite Location: Onsite/Library Building
Benefits: Excellent Benefits including: Health, Prescription, Vision, Dental, and LAPP
Chestermere Public Library is looking for a librarian with a high level of organizational skill and enthusiasm to join their team. This entry-level leadership position offers ample opportunity for growth and development, perfect for someone with 0-4 years of experience.
Chestermere Public Library serves the rapidly growing City of Chestermere, a lake community rich with outdoor recreational opportunities, just 10 minutes outside the City of Calgary and 90 minutes from the Rocky Mountains. Part of the Marigold library system, Chestermere Public Library is a community learning hub, connected to our community and patrons, aiming to make our city more informed, engaged and connected. Chestermere’s visible minority population is almost double the provincial average, making diversity, equity and inclusion an important part of our work.
Working with the Director of Library Services, Community Librarian and Service Delivery staff, the Service Delivery Librarian supports management and takes a leadership role in the facilitation of specific services, contributing to the overall efficient, innovative, and effective library service in a rapidly shifting environment, managing the multiple priorities of circulation, reference, programming, community referral and engagement, and collection maintenance. All these activities serve to ensure that the library continually meets Plan of Service goals and objectives, as well as fulfillment of the mission, vision, and values of the organization.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Service Coordination and Evaluation: Service lead for collection maintenance, circulation desk procedures, item processing, as well as supporting the Director of Library Services with special projects and initiatives.
- Marketing and Communications: Coordinating with Marketing and Social Media Coordinator and ensuring email queries and requests are completed.
- Programming and Events Facilitation: Develop and facilitate programming related to digital literacy, early literacy, and reader’s advisory, as well as participate in the facilitation of larger library events.
- Circulation and Reference Work: Assist library patrons with checkout, answer queries regarding library patron accounts, and use reference interviews to meet patron information needs. Support the ongoing professional development of Service Delivery Assistants.
- Grant Writing: Assist the Director of Library Services in locating, writing, and submitting appropriate smaller-scale project-based grants.
- Collection Development: Assist the Director of Library Services with the selection of library materials.
- Community Referral and Engagement: Support library patrons with utilizing simple computer-based tasks, represent the library at community events, and work with management to create a welcoming, clean, and safe environment.
- Master’s Degree in Library Science with an interest in public libraries;
- A willingness and commitment to ongoing professional development;
- The ability to embrace change as an opportunity for progress;
- Superior communication and organizational skills, with an ability to problem solve in a fast-paced environment;
- The ability to navigate both team-based and independent work;
- Superior attention to detail and interest in process and procedure development.
- Some experience using methods, practices and/or ways of thinking that prioritize diversity, equity and inclusion;
- Some experience with customer service;
- Some experience with program development and delivery;
- Some experience with collection development;
- Knowledge of any of Chestermere’s most spoken languages other than English (Punjabi, Hindi, French, Vietnamese, Tagalog, Spanish, Arabic, Urdu).
How To Apply:
Please email a resume and cover letter to:
Miranda Johnson, Director of Library Services
Chestermere Public Library
105B Marina Rd
Chestermere, AB T1X 1V7
The Chestermere Public Library is committed to equitable hiring practices. If you need accommodations during the hiring process, please contact the Director of Library Services as listed above. Only candidates chosen for an interview will be contacted.
We would like to acknowledge that we are on Treaty 7 territory, the traditional territories of the Blackfoot Nations, including Siksika, Piikani, and Kainai, the Tsuut’ina Nation, and Stoney Nakoda First Nations. We acknowledge all the many First Nations, Metis, and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for centuries.