University of North Dakota | Grand Forks, North Dakota, United States
Want to join a university that is big enough to support great work, but small enough that you can make a difference? As the Systems Librarian, you would develop and maintain the servers and systems necessary to support the Chester Fritz Library’s (CFL) mission. This includes collaborating with the Online Dakota Information Network (ODIN) to manage CFL’s instance of Ex Libris’ Alma and Primo VE platform; maintaining the EZ Proxy server; and provisioning and maintaining servers for hosted web applications. In addition, you would conduct software training sessions, and digitize objects with the library’s 3D scanner.
The University of North Dakota is the state’s largest campus, which has emerged as a leader in engineering, medicine, aviation, space, and unmanned aircraft systems. Located in Grand Forks, ND, with a regional population of 104,000 residents, UND has a student enrollment of about 14,000. Grand Forks offers all the big-city amenities you would expect of a university town, without losing any of the small-town friendliness or reasonable cost of living. For more information about why Grand Forks is the place to live and work, visit https://grandforksiscooler.com.
Come work with a dedicated, focused team of librarians and staff at Chester Fritz Library. This is a full-time, permanent position with a competitive salary and excellent benefits including full health insurance and TIAA retirement plans. Want to know more about the Library? Check out our blog.
To learn more and apply, see the full position description.
Please contact Will Martin at email@example.com with questions.
- $57,000 Annual, Exempt
- 40 hours per week
- 100% Remote Work Availability:No
- Hybrid Work Availability:No
Purpose of Position
The Systems Librarian is responsible for developing and maintaining the servers and systems necessary to support the Chester Fritz Library’s mission. This includes:
- Collaborating with the Online Dakota Information Network to manage CFL’s library services platform.
- Maintaining CFL’s EZ Proxy server.
- Provisioning & maintaining a LAMP environment for hosted web applications, in coordination with the Web Services Librarian.
In addition, the Systems Librarian offers training on software to UND students and CFL staff, including common office applications, and
more specialized applications.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Configure and maintain the library’s digital infrastructure, including Alma, EZ Proxy, and a variety of open-source applications hosted in a Linux environment. Performing this duty involves working closely with groups within the library, across campus, and with outside vendors.
- Maintains reliable off-campus access to library resources for students, faculty, and staff. This duty involves configuring Alma and EZ Proxy, and working with library staff and database vendors to diagnose and correct access issues.
- Digitize objects from university collections using the library’s 3D scanner. This duty requires learning to scan 3D objects, training others to do so, and working with the Digital Initiatives Librarian and other campus units to plan and execute scanning projects.
- Plan and conduct regular software training sessions for CFL staff and UND students. This duty requires learning new software and training other people on it, cooperating with TTADA. Some sessions will be limited to library staff, others open to the university at large.
- Participate in professional activities such as grant writing, committees, and professional associations.
- Install, configure, and maintain library-specific computing hardware as projects arise.
• Strong customer service orientation
• Ability to clearly communicate technical information to a non-technical audience
• Graduate degree from an ALA-accredited library school
• Familiarity with Linux
• Successful completion of criminal history records check.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the US and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
• Relevant academic or research library experience
• Teaching experience
• Systems administration experience
• Experience with Ex Libris’ Alma
For full consideration, please submit a cover letter, resume, and three references by the closing date. Direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing on: Jun 15 2023
Please note, all employment postings close at 11:55pm CST.
Leave a Reply